Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dogs and Why They Live With Us


Anyone who lives with a dog, or, heaven help them, with more than one, knows that their life is no longer their own. So think about this. For around twenty thousand years or so, dogs have lived with human kind. Think about what we mean by the phrase, 'a dog's life.' Of course, dogs don't have it all their own way. In some cultures they are seen as a food source as well as companions, the American indigenous peoples put them to work pulling things, dogs in Europe gave this up some time ago. Dogs in the USA have given up working for a living almost entirely. They make great companions though,but they continue to shape human society by their very presence. I long ago lost track of how many times I have opened and shut the back door for my buddy Miguel. I would add some more thoughts, but I have go let the dog in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home